Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Writing Process

For a while there I thought I had mine nailed down. I get the first line and then I'd write the story like a maniac. And then the next book came along and I stalled out by chapter three. I became more cautious of writing down that first line. I figured if it came back to me--like the old adage goes--then it was meant to be. Of course, that worked only once and then I found myself plotting out the first turning points. Of course after a longer while that didn't work.

So, now I'm on the brink of finishing an unfinished ms and seeing that this process is going to be different, again. Starting smack-dab in the middle of the book doesn't excite me as opening up a blank document. I'm going to have to fall in love with the story to care enough to get to The End. I'm going to have to find a way to get my characters out of limbo.

Strange, but it's the reason why I love writing. Each book is another challenge. What worked before sure as hell isn't going to work again. I hate the same-ol-same feeling. But, I can admit it's irritating to find what works for this book.

So, tell me, do you have a different writing process with each book or has it stayed the same since you first started writing?

No comments: