Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Product vs. Art

Clear cut answers bores me to tears. I like to discuss things were I'm just as likely to be right as I am to be wrong. So this week I want to explore if you think your books are a product or a work of art?

*For purposes of this discussion I'm not talking about the creative process. The sit your butt in chair and write the story. That's another bag of apples.*

Personally, I think when I put my book out there it's a product. With my book I am supplying the market with a demand. I want to get paid for supplying the product. I also consider myself a small business. *So small you have to find it with a microscope* But still a business. I have to make decisions that is best for the business: what is the best publisher to go with that will provide my book with the best outlet. What review site is going to get my name out there to as many readers as possible.

Where to do you stand? All business? All art? Or something in the middle?

1 comment:

Jill James said...

While I'm creating it, it is art. When I try to sell it I have to remember it is a product.

Even something as creative as writing is a business.