Thursday, October 30, 2008

"We'll Call You"

I've come across this variation on several agent sites. It's not necessarily "we'll call you", but "we will respond only if we are interested". There have been many discussions about this being rude, unprofessional, or it makes totally sense so stop your whining.

I'm curious to know how often do authors get the short end of the stick in this business. All these invisible rules are set up to further our career (don't talk bad about other author's books, don't make fun of psycho fans, don't react to horrible reviews, don't bad mouth agent/publisher/editor but only if they are scammers, ESPECIALLY don't talk about being dropped as an author, never talk about the publishers who give crappy advances....)

I've witnessed more than one author crucified in this business. Some well deserved, especially when a normal person would have walked away with what little dignity they had left. And, then there are the authors who are just crucified.

So, what parts of publishing do authors truly get the short end of the stick? Or what do you consider the cost of doing business and authors should just suck it up?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do I feel like this is an invitation for me to cut my throat?

Authors get the short end of the stick if a company changes. You can do all the research in the world and still find yourself screwed. The trick is to be adaptable and always pay attention to what's going on.

It's not an easy business.

NerdSnark said...

Ms. McKenzie, this is not an invitation to talk directly to people who are upsetting at this moment. I believe in dealing with things with in a cool, calm manner. You are a writer. I'm sure you know many, many words that will be tactful yet honest.

If you ever feel the need to unload you may answer anonymously. That's what this blog is for. I won't report you.

It's not an easy business.

It sure in the hell isn't. It's not for sissies, but even the strongest can be pushed into complacency. (sp?) I want to know those situations and I'm sure other authors will too. The best way to be prepared is to know what you are up against.

"Hope for the best and prepare for the worse."

Anonymous said...

You are a writer. I'm sure you know many, many words that will be tactful yet honest.

Indeed. Yet, I'm not sure there IS a tactful way to say some of the things I think. LOL.


"Hope for the best and prepare for the worse."

That pretty much sums it up perfectly.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I really hate this business. Sometimes I hate it so much I wish I could quit. Sometimes I hate it so much I wish I'd never sent out that first query letter. Being a published author has sucked the joy out of being a writer and that's a bad bad bad bad thing.

For what it's worth, some of us do talk behind the scenes and let me just say there are worse things than crappy advances. At least those are easier to earn out. Crappy editors and publishers are a much larger concern.

NerdSnark said...

At least those are easier to earn out. Crappy editors and publishers are a much larger concern.

Grasshopper, that is why I started this blog. To encourage an open communication about the "behind the scenes" of this business. I'm very aware writers talk. It's getting them to talk openly and in a safe place. Talking bad about the business is seen as a career killer. I don't know why. Could be the rebel in me.

As for wanting to quit. You will not be the first or last writer to feel that way. I think the only way is to remember why you wanted to write in the first place. Some days that will be hard as hell. Others not so much.

But it sounds like I'm preaching to the choir. :)