Monday, November 3, 2008

Bad Agents

I'm not talking scammers. I'm talking bad as in can't sell books to save their lives. Bad that editors ignore submissions from said agent. Bad that when you ask have you ever heard of so and so your first answer is "Run". Yes, they exist. Yes, they go to conferences and hob knob and take appointments.

But the question is how: Well, I have a theory: desperate authors is how.

I know and understand the need to rush to NY. I know and understand how it can be a light at the end of the tunnel when someone finally says, "Send me the full" or much better, "I want to represent you." It's the "I'm King (Queen) of the world" type of feeling. But the question is how well did D.A. research this agent? How many e-mails did D.A. send to current and former clients (politely) inquiring about said agent? Did D.A. even check out this site to see what are the basics of an agents job? How many warning flags went up that these types of authors ignored?

* Yes, I'm aware some author still get the short end of the stick with very bad matches with their "dream" agent.*

So you tell me: How are bad agents still able to work in this business? What are some of the signs to look out for?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One person's dream agent is another persons (pardon my french) fucking nightmare. Yes, that was my first agent. She was new but at a big-time reputable agency and has gone on to make a name for herself as a well-known agent to many urban fantasy authors. Knowing all that, I'd never recommend her to anyone. I am even a fan of some of her authors and it galls me every time I buy a book by them to know that I'm putting pennies in her pocket. Bitter much? Yeah. And I'm not the only writer she done wrong (and for the record Im published).

Some agents are bad agent, but then sometimes an agent just drops the ball and fucks up.

When you get an offer, do your research, talk to clients, more importantly, talk to FORMER clients. No reputable agent is going to yank an offer because you want time to do your due diligence.

NerdSnark said...

One person's dream agent is another persons (pardon my french) fucking nightmare.

Ah, yes, one of the authors who still gets the short end of the stick. I'm sorry about your experience, but know you are not the only author who has been treated this way. It amazes that even the "big name agents" don't get it right. They burn authors not realizing (not caring) they talk. Authors may not rant on their blogs, but they tell their friends and their friends tell their friend...

When you get an offer, do your research, talk to clients, more importantly, talk to FORMER clients.

Exactly! I think talking to a former client is just as important as knowing what an agent represents. Knowing why they severed a relationship with an agent (or why they were dropped) is vital. And weighing what you've learned. Listen to your gut is the only other advice I would offer.