Monday, November 10, 2008

Apparently I Didn't Get The Memo

WARNING: SOAPBOX AND FOAMING AT THE MOUTH IS BELOW THIS LINE.

****************************************

My rants are far and few. I'm pretty much the same in real life. Not many things irritate me. If they do I work through them and move on. But they are times when things just creep under my skin and it takes a lot more effort to get past them. And they are other times when things are not meant to get past. I have to make hard decisions. I have to use the words I love so much, get on my soapbox and see if I can make some changes.


What has this snarky nerd choosing her words very, very carefully?

"Career focused. Career, meaning earning money through this thing we do. Being paid for our work. If we're not being paid a minimal amount for our work--for now, at least--it is not a career."


For the person who wrote these words I take offense that you can say what I do is not a career. What others do if they are not being paid a minimal amount is not a career. I would very much like you to define minimal amount so that you can complete your job of insulting a good percentage of your members.

Here is my definition of career that Miriam-Webster agrees with:

Career: a profession for which one trains and which is undertaken as a permanent calling.

I also find it interesting you no longer want an attitude of Us vs. Them, but the words you've written (the opinion you are trying to stuff down my throat through your presidency) contradicts what you hope to change for your organization. It amazes me how you take offense to the term bodice ripper, but being seen as an author who isn't career focused isn't supposed to annoy me. *This is me smiling sweetly*

I'm also supposed to support and get behind you after you've just insulted my work as a whole, due to who I'm published with and my undefined minimal amount. Isn't that the same mind set you poo-pooed publishers for having--thinking of the money. As a member who wants to be a part of the THEM crowd how am I supposed to get behind ideas that stray away from your internal purpose of ensuring that author's talents are nurtured and valued on their work product.

So what do you want? Authors to understand this is a business and the mighty dollar rules all or do you want to nurture?

Frankly, I'll pass on any hug you want to give me.

I will also like to point out the business model you've built your argument on has very shoddy foundation.


"We get letters from those who explain their royalty rate is so much higher that an advance is unnecessary. And that may work for the tiny percentage who benefit from that set-up. Who benefits most from this equation, however, is the publisher who is taking no financial risk, and, therefore, has very little incentive, to promote the author."

I know you were trying your hardest not to say e-presses, but all your little "quotations" insinuated who you were talking about. Kind of like Sarah Palin's winks that were not very affective when trying to get a point across. You're "different path" and "different business model" fools no one.


If I am wrong, correct me. What publishers are you lumping together that don't lead a path full of career-focus?

Now, if I didn't take offense to all of the above, this would have sent me into a conniption.


"No one is saying if you do sell to them you are not published."

Really? Are we reading the same guidelines? The same contest rules? For one contest I am in fact published. For another I'm not published enough. Do your words have to be blatant for it to be construed that you are saying don't publisher with "different path" presses.

If I'd known back in January* before I paid my $75 hard earned money* that I would be told I wasn't career-focused, I might have made a different decision. Is this the kind of Presidency us members should look forward to? It feels like the Bush Administration. And, boy there were a lot of folks happy at the end of his rein of terror.

/rant

Agree? Disagree? I'm an idiot and my career is over? Wait a minute--I really don't have one.

13 comments:

Chrissy said...

Um. I'm so glad I stopped paying dues.

Complete sentences would be fabbo if we're going to talk down to writers, doncha think?

*shrug*

I agree with you, anyway. But the RWA is broken, and I'm no longer interested in how they rearrange the bits trying to appear whole, you know?

Anonymous said...

I'm dying to know which President this is and with what organization. Man, I'm going to have to do some digging now.

Mmm... and I totally agree with you. I happen to know of several career authors who are solely e-pubbed. Oh but dont' take their money or count them as members... RIiiiiiighht.

What an idiot.

Anonymous said...

And don't forget that the dues are going up too.

Christa Maurice said...

I think they're confusing career and job. A career is something you are willing to devote yourself to. A job is what you do for money. Hopefully, they come together, but not always.

So I can cross that org off my list.

Anonymous said...

While I do find the language she chose to use to be unnecessarily harsh, I see nothing wrong in specifying that members must make at least $1000 on one book in order to qualify for PAN. Authors who are in PAN are at a different point in their careers and have a different path at the moment than authors not in PAN. So it makes sense to have different organizations.

FWIW, most PAN authors I know found PRO to be much more useful, anyway.

That being said, saying that authors who don't make that type of money don't have a career was a callous thing to say.

NerdSnark said...

But the RWA is broken, and I'm no longer interested in how they rearrange the bits trying to appear whole, you know?

I understand every organization has it's pitfalls. Every member can't see eye to eye, but there is a point when you have to listen to the people who are keeping you in business. I truly don't think RWA is doing that anymore. Or ever has from what I hear.

NerdSnark said...

I happen to know of several career authors who are solely e-pubbed.

That's what I meant by shoddy foundation. It's kind of like she sat down and wrote her article with no e-press facts in front of her and just lumped them as bad career choices.

WTF?

NerdSnark said...

Anon- Don't get me started on the dues. Nor how much it cost to go to the convention last year. Or any other thing that I found annoying. I'm trying to stop ranting.

NerdSnark said...

A career is something you are willing to devote yourself to. A job is what you do for money.

A career is definitely something you work towards. You may not get paid well for it, but at the top of your game you might. The publishing is so subjective. My guess is that she's assuming the NY way is the only way to have a long lasting career. She's got two months to impress. Otherwise I'm not forking over any more dough.

NerdSnark said...

I see nothing wrong in specifying that members must make at least $1000 on one book in order to qualify for PAN.

This is where I can agree. To me this is what makes it an even playing field. Yes, numbers can be piddly in e-presses, but they can also blow NY numbers out of the water.

saying that authors who don't make that type of money don't have a career was a callous thing to say

Hence the rant. I get what she was trying to say: demand more for your career, your publisher, and your writing organization. Is that how it went across? Nope. Not even close. I'm sure the out pour of letters will make or break who stays in RWA and who will leave.

Or old-hands will pretty much chalk it up to the same ol, same ol.

Anonymous said...

What's amazing to me is that RWA began because of a lack of respect and acknowledgment from the rest of the writing community. "Romance" meant "Trash". Now, they use the exact same condescending techniques to keep epublished authors out of the mix.
What angers me is this: If it's not "US" vs. "THEM" then why aren't the rules created to cater ONLY to NY pubbed?
I intend to be NY pubbed and then RWA better watch out because I'm going to keep my epub credits. Which means I'm going to be working hard to change the stupidity that seems to be prevalent in this organization.

Amie Stuart said...

Now, they use the exact same condescending techniques to keep epublished authors out of the mix.

Anon makes a good point. And believe me, while I'm a member (for now), I have very mixed feelings. FWIW if it wasn't e-pubbed authors it would be someone. Once upon a time it was chick lit authors and along with e-pubbed authors, there's erotica/erotic romance authors. Funny, most of the nasty comments I've heard have been from unpublished writers--to boot!

Anonymous said...

If RWA wants us to stop having an "us vs. them" mindset, then the leadership needs to look into their own mirrors first. This sense begins with them and the endless "you are okay, you are not" rule changes. They have become a parody of what they say they want to achieve.

If it were not for the fact that I cannot be in my local chapter without being a member of National, I would not be in RWA. My $75 (going up to $85---I'd like to see the books in full disclosure first, to determine if there has been any attempt to cut costs, as most people around the nation are doing in our own households---or, put this rate increase to a membership vote) would serve me better used in other ways than what amounts to as a highly priced magazine subscription.