Monday, December 8, 2008

And More Reasons Why I Won't Let This Blog Die

Gauche: 1 a: lacking social experience or grace ; also : not tactful : crude b: crudely made or done 2: not planar (gauche) *(definition provided by Merriam-Webster online dictionary)

Someone recently accused me of being gauche for bemoaning a delayed response to a query. The issues wasn't the amount of time, but the fact I said something publicly about my disgust.

And then it just made me curious what got this taboo started. I'm very aware publishing isn't your normal work environment. You could have a grade A lawsuit for being black-balled in the corporate world for speaking, truthfully, about grievances of your work environment. In essence it's called retaliation.

But what I am fully surprised by is that most people black-balled in this industry are by other authors. Yes, some people should have thought better of what to say in public. Also, IMHO, some things were just blown out of proportion.

My questions to you: At what point was it okay for authors to be bashed for unprofessional behavior *publicly*? When did it become a faux pas for authors to speak of industry professionals for the same type of behavior? *not just their peers*

No comments: